Tuesday, September 19, 2017

from eight to X



Last Wednesday, September 13, new phones from Cupertino are finally unveiled to the world. Meet the iPhone X (pronounced as iPhone “ten”) and its younger siblings the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus.

I personally find it funny that Apple branded its latest and most advanced iPhone with the a fancy, pompous Roman numeral “X”. Obviously it is a nod to the iPhone’s 10th anniversary in the tech world, but this move just made all the Galaxy S8s, S8 Pluses, and Note 8s of Samsung this year look inferior. Which is a brilliant marketing move. If the accompanying numbers really do matter, I encourage Samsung to name their next phones with 10 to the power of 10. Or why not jump ahead to 200? You know, like, Samsung Galaxy S10 to the nth power. Or Samsung Galaxy Note200. Let the numbers war begin! But, of course, if numbers are all the craze, they have no match to Nokia 3310 or 5110.

Kidding aside, the design language of the latest iPhones has not differed that much from its previous iterations. I like it. It remains gorgeous and easy on the eyes. But looking at my iPhone 6 right now, which was first released 2014, just makes me think I am holding a relic from a distant past. It feels ancient. It has been with me for a long, long time already, and as much as I’d like to upgrade my phone, these new editions have prices that are incredibly steep and daunting. How am I supposed to get one of these? Sell a kidney? That’s a thought. Or I might as well consider Samsung’s Galaxy Note 8. At least I’d get it for half a kidney.

[ photo borrowed from this site ]

No comments: