Monday, December 11, 2017

opinionated

So here we are again. I chanced upon a conversation that seemed pointless, all thanks to the tired excuse of saying “It’s just my opinion.” Although it is true that everyone is entitled to one’s opinion, let us be reminded that there are GOOD OPINIONS and there are BAD OPINIONS.

In short, not all opinions are created equal, and not all opinions carry the same weight of logic, relevance, and constructive intent. And before we forget, opinions are still informed by facts, shaped by study and discipline. These days, many opinions are just meant to spew hate and confusion. To make my point clear, let us take these examples:

“I like chocolate-flavored ice cream. It’s my favorite.” (good opinion)
“I like chocolate-flavored ice cream. It should be everyone’s favorite.” (bad opinion)
“She is gay and she doesn’t like to party. But it’s all right.” (good opinion)
“She is gay and she doesn’t like to party. She has no right to be gay.” (bad opinion)
“I think we need to water our plants regularly.” (neutral to good opinion)
“I think we need to kill all suspected criminals without due process regularly.” (bad to extremely bad opinion)

It's simple, right? It doesn't take a Master's degree from some university in Norway to understand the varying degrees of an opinion's nuances. Now you know.

No comments: