Friday, March 28, 2008

the following day

My words are tied tight on my tongue I can’t release from my mouth what I am trying to say. A simple “thank you,” a heartfelt “salamat,” or an amusing “tenchu” must be enough but these alone have a hard time departing from my mind; they're still enclosed within the tasking requirement on decision-making of “to say” and “not to say”. They remain as subconscious, abstract efforts of appreciation that on the outer surface, I consequently look like a passive, ungrateful ingrate.

Though I have yet to appropriately say these words of gratitude tomorrow, the uneasy feeling makes me contemplate on this matter right at this moment. I don’t know why but, maybe, it must be brought about by this fear that I may be misunderstood. This sounds selfish but considering that a being’s complexity goes beyond midlevel understanding that all—even the most brilliant of minds—tend to be shallow, my point may be justifiable (or maybe not to some). Okay, straightforwardly, it’s somewhat a special day tomorrow and the inevitable mushy greetings will flood my cellphone’s inbox and ring my ears.

Oftentimes, I do not respond to these messages thinking it would just be a waste of my thumbs’ and my voice box’s effort. And this is my problem: because I am not a fully-developed responsive person, in the viewpoint of other people, I become a snob. Fine, I can get through with that but the issue here is that someone’s assessment of me shifts to exaggeration and may affect other people’s judgment; especially people who are dear important to me. That’s why I have this teensy-weensy fear.

On the following day when time just normally passes by as the young wrinkles on my face start to branch out like feisty children running around the playground, I am indeed thankful to all those who sincerely worry, who greets me, and who tries very hard to discern my convoluted character despite my being overly insipid. Maybe tomorrow I will still stay unresponsive to your sentiments, but I tell you, silence may be a sign of foreboding but, really, it’s the thought and the untold appreciation that count. Thanks for everything.
_______________________________________________________

No comments: